We are very proud to be able to bring our keynote to a wider audience by streaming it from our website. Many thanks to all those involved in creating this video for us.
Pirate BI Data Competition Sponsored by Pyramid Analytics
Can you make our data tell a story?
We have a challenge for anyone who thinks they can take a data and make it interesting and engaging. We have teamed up with Pyramid Analytics to create a BI competition with a superb prize for the winner to be announced during our Friday party evening.
Our Pirate Incident Dataset can be downloaded here http://1drv.ms/1GoXjgM
The dataset is presented as an Excel File or CSV with the following headers :-
Date, Ship Name, Ship Type, IMO No., Area, Boarded?, Latitude, Longitude, Incident details, Consequences for crew etc, Action taken by master/crew, Reported?, Reported to, Reporting State, Coastal State, Action Taken, MSC/Circ
Use the dataset as the basis of your entry to our panel of judges on the night*. Use the BI tool(s) of your choice to lift the data from a flat csv file to something that is pleasing to the eye and brings out the interesting facts to your audience.
You will see that the dataset fits with our Pirate Party theme, tell us all about the facts and figures of the Pirating Past. You might choose to engage with our judges by giving a presentation or you can create some infographics in advance that bring out the information in the data and simply send it to us. We are going to be judging entries on the visualisation of the data, not the presenter’s skills.
* In order to be eligible the main prize you need to be at the party however, if you want to join in but can’t make it we will also award a prize to the best ‘postal’ entry so send us your work and you can still get involved.
SQL Saturday Exeter 2015 – BI Competition rules
- You can use the visualisation and analysis tools or platforms of your choice but, if you are presenting on the night, you will need to be able to show your work – bring the right software with you on your own laptop/pc.
- Your presentation time must not exceed five minutes.
- Postal entries must reach us before 24/04/2015.
- Postal entries must be in a format that can be viewed on a laptop with no special software installed. We will have a selection of browsers and software to play mp4 video files but nothing else. If your presentation won’t run then we can’t judge it. If you are concerned about it, send us a preview in advance and we will advise you if there are any problems.
- Postal entries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, please mark in your email if you want confirmation that the entry has been received.
- You must use the dataset provided. However, you may add additional data to support your analysis and visualisation.
- The prizes and prizes winners will be announced on the evening of Friday 24th April 2015 after all presentations have been considered.
- Our judges decision will be final in reference to both prizes and no negotiation will be possible. They will be pleased to talk with all entrants to discuss their own entry if there are requests for feedback or questions about how to improve or alter the work for better impact.
- Any enquiries about the competition should be addressed to email@example.com with a subject line of “Pirate Data Competition”
With Many Thanks to Pyramid Analytics for sponsoring the competition and providing the prize